The Mountain Gate into Enmeiji Temple near Imabari in Ehime was relocated here from Imabari Castle when it was dismantled in early Meiji.
The Nio Gate before the mountain gate contains a fine pair of Nio.
The temple used to be located higher up on Mount Chikamiyama and was relocated to its current location in 1727 following the last of many fires that had repeatedly burned down the temple
The honzon of the temple is a Fudo Myo, and it is known as a Fire Fighting Fudo because it survived the many fires unscathed.
The temple was founded by Gyoki in 720 and he carved the Fudo statue.
As was often the case, Kobo Daishi visited a century later and rebuilt and expanded the temple.
In its heyday, it had many buildings and 100 monks.
A Mizuko Jizo statue in the grounds is very popular. The temple has no lodgings, but does have a large shop selling pilgrim supplies.
All those babies… Are they the same as the little statues that get the red bibs???
ReplyDeleteyes
Delete